Tuesday 26 January 2010

I can now hang off the bar and lift my knees up to my chest in 3 lots of ten. Having been looking at alternative employment I have had a blinding ides. Given my age, pole dancing would seem a little inappropriate. So armed with my little yellow bikini and prerequisite oil - I am going to provide a pull your knees up to your chest whilst hanging from a bar routine around the local care homes. Its a sure think.

If I carry on, I may end up in a home myself. I am loving the gym but I ache all over. If I didn't have a Tempur mattress I suspect I would have needed to order a hoist to get out of bed. Having read my 3 inch thick copy of The Psychology of Health, I suspect the benefits outweighthe pain, I just hope there is a point where I sink into bed at night without dreading the attempt of getting out in the morning.

Most of my gym chores involve core strength and building muscles. I am getting muscles, I am getting stronger, but I ache all over. There is one machine that I sneak on. I have to sneak on it as the gym instructor frowns deeply at machines. I also sneak on it because it has a little picture of which part of your body it works on. All bottom and thighs. I like this. However, it may take some time since every time I go near it, I have a near death experience.

I am supossed to use it for 5 minutes. I cannot get past 3.5 minutes before my legs feel a strange combination of being whacked with an iron bar and turning to jelly. For a short period after getting off - I am incapable of normal walking. I had to check with the instructor why everyone else using it was moving so much faster than me. Apparently they are using it incorrectly and a source of mirth from their office. I may have to start using it incorrectly.

I also find it strange how I don't really sweat. Sometimes I feel hot, most of the time I hurt and a couple of times I have to make a strange noise, particularly with the last few yanking your knees up to your chest thing, but no sweat. I am not sure which is better for you, sweat or pain. If I carried on to the point of sweating, I would have gone so far past the pain barrier that I would have to be stretchered out.

I am still grappling with the sauna, people seem to use it as a wrong turn. They come in, exclaim at the heat and leave. I am unclear as to why anyone should be surprised at the heat and unclear as to the benefit of staying no more than 60 seconds. I appear to be one of the only gym members that can hack it for more than this.

I suspect it is because they have seen me when I come out. Red would be inadequate in description. I look like I have had a tourniquet around my neck. My face is so red that it pulsates. I tried applying foundation in a bid to regain colour control and simply looked as if someone had attempted a dirty smear campaign. It is not attractive.

Having nearly passed out on more than one occasion I decided on sensible action. I took a cup of water in with me. The theory was good, the water rapidly became cool rather than cold. What I hadn't allowed for was the temperature that plastic could reach.

Trying to make the most of the time, I attempted a little meditation - cross legged, sweating and in silence seemed like an appropriate moment. My concentration was not as it should have been and midst poor attempt, I reached for my life saving water. It would be a fair assessment that meditating whilst you have a melting plastic cup attached to your lower lip is not relaxing. It hurt.

The other area of confusion for me is why women come into the sauna clutching a towel in a bid to retain their modesty, yet drop it the moment they reach the changing rooms. Call me old fashioned, but I find it slightly odd that people blow dry their head naked. I am not affronted by it, it just seems odd. Today a woman was blow drying her hair whilst wearing just a bra. It is not a good look. Knickers and blow drying I can understand. Bra and nothing else is simply odd.

I have spent some time researching today. I have worked out that I need a free website designer, loads of cash and a full understanding of distribution rights.

So far, I have none.




No comments: