Monday 31 May 2010

The road to nowhere...

I woke this morning this morning to find myself being gazed at lovingly by the most beautiful being. He is 6.

"I love you Mummy" He say's

"I love you too" Say I.

Then he say's

"I saw a cream on the television that gets rid of wrinkle, bumps and dry area"

Such a lovely start to the day.

We chatted last night about stuff. They were away this weekend and when I spoke to them it was clear that 'stuff' was bothering. It would appear that this child is living under false hope that 'It" and I could get back together or even, shortly after the frozen lakes of hell, get remarried after the divorce is finalised.

"Sweet Pea, that is never going to happen" Say I.

"Perhaps's Daddy will get better" say's he

"Better at what?" I ask, wondering if he too had been considering the markers for social communication disorders.

"Better at liking you" say's small child. "Maybe if he could start liking you again you could be remarried.

Such a tricky one. It's times like these when you so desperately want to say what you really think. Instead, I smile sweetly and point out that I do not want to get remarried to Daddy and even if Daddy 'got better' and could be nice the only pre curser to a proposal would have to be a frontal lobotomy (I didn't tell him that bit). I think this may take some time. It takes children a long, long time to adjust to things.

Middle child was telling me that the girlfriend told of her adventure trotting past the house, turning around and trotting back. Apparently, she trotted past the house, turned around and trotted back. Since we already knew that, I am not sure how much more exciting the tale could be. Apparently the need to turn around and trot back past the house was because it was a road with cars on. Indeed it is - it's the quiet one you can only get to after riding on roads with cars on. Duh...

If there is anything you learn from children that you can only learn from having children, is that they are, in many ways - more perceptive, astute and intelligent that most adults. Some of those skills are naturally fine tuned and actually diminish with age. All hidden behind innocent little smiles.

Never underestimate a child and never assume anything

I am going to a car boot sale to wade through over peoples discarded lives. It's a liberating experience.

No comments: