Friday 12 March 2010

No sex please

I had a conversation today, with a friend who always makes me laugh with no intent on her part.

We were talking about sex. Clearly, I have little to say on the subject at the current time. Much to think, but little to say. She was positively delighted that she was still within a window of once every three months. Delighted, since this had been an improvement from the 6 month window.


Apparently men think about sex every few seconds. That may be so but thinking and doing are not necessarily bed partners. Once, in a moment of boredom I answered to a post on 'How often do you have sex?' The options were: once a day, once a week or once a month. I emailed in stating that I was unable to complete it since the option of once a year was not available.

I digress. Friend of the funny comments then went on to say that she had asked her other half if he might be gay. Apparently he is not like most men. He is not into football, or indeed any sport. Not bothered by meeting mates or drinking beer. He is not gay. I would have laughed more if it hadn't been for the fact that I had once asked the same question. I hadn't really meant it either but there are times when exasperation outweighs appropriate wording.

So it got me thinking. What happens when you live with someone that does not have the same attitude or appetite for and to sex as you do? Certainly you get used to it, you get frustrated and you think about it a lot. BUt it does more than that. sexual incompatibility will lead to one or bot having some form of self esteem damage. Perhaps there are benefits to higher testosterone men than I had given any thought to. Perhaps, when thinking towards the future I should place more emphasis on gaging sexual compatibility.

So as a visual comparative in a very scientific test: You google professions, look at the pictures and decide which career is more likely to have a higher sex drive.... Go onto google images and type in accountant, lawyer and rugby player. End of. Absolutely no comparison.

Perhaps the accountant has a higher sex drive, I doubt it. The fact that the rugby player has a body like that has to have a bearing. Interestingly, the Lawyer page come up with fancy dress outfits. I say interestingly because if I think of lawyers, I automatically think of diapers and madams. Clearly I am not alone.

There is certainly more to life and relationships than simply sex but as an indicator for closeness of openness and of compatibility - perhaps it is a more accurate guide than that off the fact that you both like pasta.

No comments: