Friday 12 March 2010

I had a theory when I was about 10 that we were all cabbages. It didn't matter how green, how large, small, bitter or sweet you were, you were just a cabbage. At the end of your cabbage life we would all get eaten by slugs. It was my party piece. Whenever there was a lull in conversation, my parents would get me to relay my cabbage theory (the full version was considerably longer). I fear it was in a bid to confirm to all, that their daughter was as odd as they believed.

My theories on things are invariably half baked. I have the intellect to think things but I do not have the readings to back them up or the experience to validate them. In truth they are nothing more than bizarre nonsensical ramblings.

I have spent the last few days mulling over the statement 'Spiritual but not religious' and wondering if tis is no more than extreme narcissism. As a natural magnet to the narcissist I felt that I had some authority in the rambling. I have no issue with the description, I simply wonder if when people use it to describe themselves they are further removed from enlightenment than they could ever suspect.

Personally I have always had an issue with religion. I take affront at people using it as an excuse for bad behaviour. Being judgemental towards others appears easier when you can hang your hat on the title of religion and in doing so, absolve yourself of responsibility for narrow mindedness and unkind thought. This is not to say that all religious people are unkind, just that it is not okay to go and blow up a load of people and tell everyone that your god dictates your actions. No more so than saying that homosexuality is abhorrent on the basis that your God says so.

Being aware and taking responsibility for your own actions has to be where true spirituality begins. Awareness of self and your connection to everything around you must surely be the essence of understanding we are all part of a bigger picture. It has to be a form of synergy. Yet when we label ourselves as 'Spiritual but not religious' are we not giving ourselves a title we feel that we want to be, rather than what we are?

In my head true spirituality would be an awareness of our self that would be detected by others. The minute you state that you are spiritual then perhaps you are really talking about ego.' This is what I want to be seen as and so I shall name it, just in case you had not detected it yourself' (and the fact that you had to be told, probably means you didn't detect it).

Being obsessed with how you 'appear' to others, making sure that you really are seen to do the right thing, say the right thing is not spirituality. Ego is in the thought process of actions, spirituality must be in the non thought. When you call yourself spiritual and you actions fail to meet the label, the ego will take over and deep down, you will feel like crap. This has to be when 'Spiritual but not religious' becomes no more than extreme narcissism.

If you are truly spiritual it would be in the minds of others and not yourself. Perhaps the true judge of spirituality is in the unsaid and the feeling of those around you. Perhaps it is your true enlightenment becomes apparent.

I concede that non of this makes sense. There was no thought in the construction, just mere mental rambling


No comments: