Tuesday 10 July 2012

Complementary technology, my arse


**
In a bid to become more productive, I have been wrestling with an online to-do list. In concept it isn't hard - simply select your tasks, tap them onto your list, achieve your tasks and tick complete.

Nothing is that simple for me. The concept of being organised just doesn't sit naturally. I am so reliant on natural chaos that the thought of being organised scares me. In order to be this super efficient person, I will have to change my mindset completely and in doing so,  lose part of my identity.

Being organised would be as uncomfortable as not caring about shoes. To dispense with superficiality would mean completely re figuring the traits my personality is dependent upon. In the blink of an eye, I would be an efficient beast that looked at people in a stern manner. Of course, this would require looking up since I will have lost 4 inches in height as a result of the comfy footwear.

I struggled with the idea until I asked my colleague whether I had skills that compensated for my utter incompetency with anything requiring mastery of modern concept. Apparently I do, so I went back to sticking post it notes on my computer screen and she returned to rolling her eyes in despair.

By the end of the day I had inputed a couple of tasks, such as 'master rememberthemilk'. I noted that in my personal list was 'read electricity meter' - this had been written 8 months ago, it's still there. The electricity meter has never been read and I just allow them to take money out. In my mind, my denial saves time and thus makes me more productive. I think

Added to the list today - send compliment. A work colleague had received an email offering praising for work delivered that had exceeded expectation. It's no surprise to anyone else since she is so efficient she has potential to be formidable but as she said - receiving a compliment can truly make the difference to ones day.

And she's right. Think back to the times when someone has opened a door for you, picked something up you may have dropped, admired an outfit or praised you for a gesture. A few words acknowledging something about you, no matter how small - can truly brighten a day and raise a smile.

I thought about it and sent her an email.

Dear Veronica,

Nice tits

Kind regards,
Sophie

Now clearly this is not language that you would hear me utter, but the art of writing is to do so in a manner that captures the attention of the reader and makes a lasting impression.  I considered my choice of words to be a winning combination on both counts.

She was grinning for some time, a remarkable result I thought. As  a result of this positive reaction, the task 'send compliment' shall now become a permanent feature of my to-do list. Paying compliment should become a viral task, the whole universe will feel much jollier as a result

On returning home an email alert appeared on my mobile


Great arse
Best wishes,
Veronica

It would appear that you do indeed reap what you sow.







No comments: